A Scottish woman is among five young people in their early 20s who were killed in a devastating two-vehicle crash in Ireland on Saturday night.
Chloe Hipson, 21, from Lanarkshire, was pronounced dead at the scene when the Volkswagen Golf she was traveling in collided with a Toyota Land Cruiser near Gibstown, Co. Louth, at around 9 p.m.
Four others also lost their lives in the collision: Chloe McGee, 23, and Shay Duffy, 21, both from Carrickmacross; and Alan McCluskey, 23, and Dillon Commins, 23, both from Drumconrath. Three additional people, including one in his early 20s, sustained injuries in the crash.
Gardai said the crash would have “a deep impact” on the families and communities in Carrickmacross, Drumconrath, and in Scotland. It is believed the five deceased were on their way to Dundalk to socialize when the collision occurred. Two occupants of the Toyota Land Cruiser, a man and a woman, were treated at Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda.
Speaking at the scene on Sunday, Superintendent Charlie Armstrong described the incident as “shocking and devastating” and confirmed that family liaison officers had been appointed to support the families. He said a major incident response had been launched involving An Garda Síochána, the Dundalk Fire Brigade, HSE paramedics, and hospital staff.
“Five occupants of the Volkswagen Golf, three males and two females, all in their early 20s, are deceased at the scene,” Superintendent Armstrong said. He added that the scene remained closed for forensic examinations and that post-mortem examinations would be conducted.
The Superintendent praised the professionalism of emergency responders, stating, “The scene was very difficult, in adverse weather conditions, and the care and respect shown to the five deceased was exemplary.”
Authorities are appealing to anyone with information or dashcam footage from the L3168 between 8:30 p.m. and 9:15 p.m. on Saturday to contact the investigation team at Dundalk Garda Station. The Garda confidential line is 1800 666 111.
Ireland’s Taoiseach Micheál Martin expressed his shock at the tragedy: “I am numbed and shocked at the horrific road crash that has led to the loss of five young lives. Our thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of these young people, and those injured.”
Deputy Prime Minister Simon Harris added: “A veil of deep sadness and shock has come over our country this morning. Our thoughts are with the families of those who lost loved ones and their communities. I also pay tribute to the emergency services, who worked in truly harrowing circumstances.”
Superintendent Liam Geraghty highlighted the significance of the tragedy coinciding with the World Day of Remembrance for Road Traffic Victims. He said, “The events here last night are a stark reminder of how quickly lives can be changed on our roads. So far this year, 157 people have lost their lives on Irish roads, slightly more than in 2024.”

